May 27, 2010

It has felt like the longest week.

I am so thankful that it is Thursday, I am sane and able to talk about it. It has been one of those weeks that makes you realize that Sarah God is in control of everything. I don't handle adversity very well, especially when it is unpredictable and a surprise. My loving husband said that I needed to read a book on how to handle it and graciously. Thanks honey. In December of last year, I was so blessed to get a new car. I was ecstatic, elated, excited...you know. ☺ Here I am with my car, look at that smile!


There were a few minor things that needed to be fixed, but that is how it is when you get a new car. David has done several things to spruce it up and make it mine. It was super-fun until these last few weeks. On May 13th, I experienced my first flat tire, actually, I mean blow out. Praise the Lord that I was in a school zone and going 20 mph. I can't even imagine if I had been on the freeway going 60 mph. Ok, lets not think of that. My dear friend and neighbor Marilee, came to my rescue. She took the girls home and looked after them until the roadside assistance could come and help. I would have been even more of a basket case if it hadn't of been for her. David was able (from work) to orchestrate getting roadside assistance to my rescue, since he couldn't come and help me himself. It is at this point that I start to have my meltdown. Crying, yelling, spewing thoughtless words...it is an all-out mommy tantrum. He deserves the "award for the best husband", seriously. Here is the surprise adversity that I don't handle well. Thankfully, they were able to change my tire and get me going again. Now to this week...Sunday morning. If Sundays aren't already busy and a little stressful before heading to church, lets throw in a car that won't start. We had this happen once before and thought it odd that a newer car wouldn't keep a charge. We moved over to the truck and went on our merry way. After church, David starts it right up. Weird. I drove it around on Monday and had no issues. Tuesday comes and then the craziness starts. I ran some errands while the girls were at school and noticed that the start seemed a little sluggish. My last stop for the day is picking up M from school. The bell rings, hugs galore and off we go. Nope. My car just goes, "click, click, click, click." ARE YOU KIDDING?!?! I can hear my loving husbands words about adversity and decide to just stay calm and rely on the Lords strength. I call David and relay that I have a dead car and almost dead phone and wonder where we should start. He said, "You can just call roadside assistance again and have them give you a jump." Ok, I can do that. He then mentions that he is really proud of my attitude. I realized then how much my actions and thoughts play a role in my life. What kind of example am I setting for my girls? Ouch. I was thankful for that moment where I chose to react the right way. ☺ I sat in the parking lot at M's school for 25 minutes with my hood up and not one person asked if I was ok, or if I needed help. So disheartening. Roadside assistance showed up not too much longer after that. The one funny thing was that it was the same guy who came and changed my tire two weeks prior. I got a jump and headed home. Wednesday: David sets up a time for me to take the car down to the dealership. I am happy to get it on its way to getting fixed and super-fun again. "Click, click, click, click." Ugh. Once again, roadside assistance comes to my rescue. A tow truck came and took it away, well, to the dealership to get it fixed. I actually got a little choked up as it is being pulled up and driven away. I hope that they can figure out what is wrong with my car, I am beginning to miss it. The brightside in all of this, is that everything is under warranty, including roadside assistance and that it was always in God's care. I just had to realize it. ☺ 

2 comments:

  1. Mylanta! There is nothing worse than a car that gives you trouble! Good job at keeping calm! :) I think real/true growth happens when you can remember, like you did, that God is in control, our attitudes matter, and that everything will be okay when things like that happen!

    Hope your cute little car gets fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amy. Your words are so encouraging. God had been using things in my life lately to teach me just that. ☺ My car is finally fixed. I got the call yesterday, whew! It ended up being a faulty battery. There was a cell that wasn't keeping a charge and causing it to go dead. Hopefully, this one will last a loooong time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!