August 12, 2010

Hello Kitty pom pom - a tutorial.

I was so excited and proud of myself and when my husband says, "Honey, you have to blog this, people all over need to see and know how to make those." I was seriously blown away by his thought-filled sweetness. *sigh* Ok, here is what all the excitement is about...

You probably have seen pom poms pop-up everywhere. I originally saw them in a packaged set at a Michaels store. I went here and got the directions to make them myself. They are a little tedious, but really fun. I have used them over and over for a great and inexpensive party decoration. I had made several white ones and then had an epiphany...why not make them look like Hello Kitty?! I had been wanting to find some really fun decor to use for Little Cute's birthday party this weekend, but after searching and searching online, I had only frustration and NO ideas. I love the ability to be crafty in times like this. ☺


I grabbed a few supplies from my stash and got to work.


How to assemble Hello Kitty:
  • Make a pom pom using these instructions. You don't need to make it a perfect circle. I tried to fluff the pom pom into her face shape and I used curling ribbon to assemble and create my hanger.
  • Hang up your pom pom. It is much easier to have it hanging while assembling. ☺
  • Cut out 2 oval shaped eyes out of black paper and 1oval shaped nose out of yellow. I like to embellish the outsides with a line of colored pen around the outside, I think it gives it a 3D effect.
  • Cut in half a standard coffee filter and fold each piece in half, making an ear.


  • Cut 6 small pieces of black for her whiskers.
  • Make her traditional (1)hair bow or (2)flower. I used construction paper and stencils for the bow and free-handed the flower. I also used a circle punch for the inner bow and flower center.
  • Affix eyes, nose, whiskers and ears using a glue stick. I tried double-stick tape and it didn't hold up very well. Having a picture nearby helps with the placement or you can just wing it. ☺
  • Once the ears have dried, affix the hair bow or flower using a glue stick.

    There you go, your own Hello Kitty pom pom.Yay!!! Go make some and have fun!




5 comments:

  1. Just like all the other party/crafty things you do...this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! We made 20 of these for my 3 year olds party. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I know someone who would LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! Wow! I had so much fun making them. I am so happy to hear that they were a success for your parties too! Yay! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jennifer! You are so kind! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!