December 1, 2010

December is here!

I can't believe that December has arrived. As usual, it is right on time. ☺ I have been preoccupied with the amazing amounts of snow we have received. For our area snow is something that happens, but in a couple of days it blows or melts away. I like it when that happens. We are still up to our eyeballs in snow and ice. *sigh*

 Every year I want to create a fun Advent countdown, but never get around to it. The past couple years the girlies have gotten excited over picking out an Advent calendar at the grocery store. They are the fun ones with the pop-open doors and the little chocolates tucked inside. It is so cute to see their faces when they look inside. Once again, I had hoped to make something fun to countdown with, but here we are December 1st and nothing made. I was browsing around some of my favorite craft websites and came across this here. I LOVE this website. I have found some wonderful things to sew, create and give. It truly is a great find! ☺ Ok, back to what I was talking about... I thought, "Why not use our fun chocolate Advent calendars to count down the days AND do something fun everyday too?! Brilliant! I found this really great list and will use it to help us with the creative part. There are some days I have great ideas and others my brain is fried. Big Sis most often complains about a project that she isn't too fond of and then, I'm spent. This list is going to help me combat that complaining when it happens. ☺

Family Advent Activities Ideas:


» Go Ice Skating
» Make Christmas cards
» Go Christmas caroling or sing Christmas songs at home
» Give everyone manicure & pedicures
» Let each child choose a favorite dinner
» Push the furniture back and dance
» Watch It's a Wonderful Life or the How the Grinch Stole Christmas
» Play a game
» Make Christmas cookies and share with neighbors 
» Have a special friend for dinner
» Make Christmas ornaments
» Make hot chocolate and read Christmas stories
» Make a Gingerbread house
» Make a simple pine cone bird feeder
» Have a special breakfast
» String popcorn and cranberries
» Play cards
» Make a paper ring garland
» Have a fireside meal (we use this and make grilled cheese and apple pies in the fireplace)
» Cut snowflakes for the windows
» Make and hang beautiful wrapping paper stars
» Drive around to see neighborhood Christmas lights (put hot cocoa in to go cups and put on pjs)
» Go to a holiday movie
» Make a holiday craft
» Roast marshmallows in the fireplace
» Make gift tags and wrapping paper
» Make decorative sugar cookies
» Purchase gifts for a needy child
» Host a Christmas party
» Play in the snow, build a snowman
» Go for a walk at night and look at the stars

If you click on the link up above (this), you will find some how-to directions for creating some of the items in the list. ☺I am excited to see what we decide to do. I hope to keep track of everything and share with you! We started off yesterday by making Christmas cookie cut-outs to snack on while we decorate our tree AND share some with our neighbors who are moving away. The girlies had a great time, sprinkling a little sugar here and there. Happy December and counting down with your Advents! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!