January 9, 2012

House beautification -- Chandelier DIY.

Slowly but surely our casa is getting back to normal after the installation of our new floor. I have all of these ideas in my head of what I want to finish before I put all the light covers back on and touch-up that last bit of paint and...why is it that the little projects, seem the hardest to finish?

One of the many things I have wanted to upgrade has been our dining room chandelier. New paint, new floor, new curtains...it just didn't fit my idea for the room. Almost 10 years ago, when we were choosing the fixtures for our house, I wasn't thinking about what was stylish or pretty but what was cheap and what fit into our budget. It hasn't been my favorite, but has done a good job.

David and I were out and about on our weekly date when we ended up at the local big box store that likes to use orange to decorate with. ☺ He listened patiently as I shared my dream of how the chandelier I picked out would make the room so much prettier. I guess that the $200 price tag and not my dreaming was the determining factor. I admit I was frustrated, irritated and defeated. I had that chandelier so hyped up in my mind that it was hard to listen to his love and reasoning. We came home and I formulated a plan.


I looked at our chandelier and tried to see if there was any way that I could give it a little upgrading, myself.

The first thing I wanted to see if I could turn the arms and face them up. With a little tweaking and turning I was able to move them. YAY! The problem was the metal ring that rested on the bottom of the glass cover. I removed the light bulb and the glass and slipped the metal ring off. Woohoo! I also gave each of the glass covers a good cleaning. I didn't realize how dirty they had gotten. Oops. Guess I dropped the ball on that cleaning bit. ☺


At this point, I am really excited at the potential.  Doesn't it look kinda cool?


I carefully put all the glass covers back on, alternating as I went, for balance. I almost knocked it off the chain! Those glass covers are heavy!


This is the final product. Yay!! I couldn't be more pleased! I also left the chain long. Before, it was tacked up really close to the ceiling. It looks a little more distinguished now. ☺


David also helped by adding in a new dimmer switch. Who knew that something so little could make such a big difference! The girls love how the lights can be soft, then bright. It is something that we have all had fun playing with setting. I am so thrilled with how it turned out.

Looking back now, I am so thankful that I listened to my husband's love and reasoning. I have such a great feeling of satisfaction that I didn't spend a dime to make this chandelier pretty. I look at it now and smile. I hope that this inspires you to take what you have, tweak it, and make it beautiful!

4 comments:

  1. Clever idea!! I often dream up ways that my dining room fixture could meet it's demise, but will have to wait til the boy is taller for them to be believable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee, Queen! I often thought of my chandelier's demise too. I just couldn't come up with any good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Re-purposing is always on my mind. Keep in mind, with those sconces facing up...you will need to stay of top of the cleaning...they make great bug catchers! I know from experience ;)Seriously though, who knew it would make such a dramatic difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea! I'm going to go look at my chandy right now! I was just wondering how I could spruce mine up but couldn't think of anything! Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!