November 13, 2012

{sewing} sew quick lunch box napkins.


If you follow my Instagram @casadecupcake you saw that at the beginning of the year I posted lots of pictures of the girlies lunches. I haven't taken very many pictures lately, but I am excited to start using my Christmas things. Yay!

There is so much inspiration in blogland. I have dabbled in it before, but I have been so inspired as of late. Inspired to be fun, but frugal and use what I have on hand {post coming very soon}.

One of the things that the girls used a lot of was napkins. I have tried to make sure that everything they take to school is reusable, except for the napkins. I got to thinking and came up with a fun and easy napkin to stick in their lunch.

Would you like to make some? Ok, let's get sewing!

You will need--
any type of cotton fabric {I raided my stash of scraps and random fabrics. I wanted their napkins to be fun and cheerful.}
serger or sewing machine
fabri-tac permanent adhesive {not needed, but recommended}

I didn't want the napkins to be too big, just enough to wipe their hands and faces. I cut the napkins into an 11x11 square. There were a couple that were a smidge smaller, but you really can't tell too much of a difference. The great thing about these napkins is that there is no specific pattern and can be made bigger or smaller to fit your specific needs.


Once you get your napkins cut, its time to serge! I adjusted my serger's base plate and foot to sew a narrow hem. This serger was my mom's and was made back in the 80's. Compared to the sergers made today, its a dinosaur.  When making changes to your serger, make sure to check your owner's manual for specifics. If you don't have a serger, you can used the zig zag or other fun stitches on your sewing machine. I am not sure of the finished look using a sewing machine, so you would have to play with it.



This pile of scraps just made me so happy. It looked like sewing confetti. 




When I was finished serging the edges of my napkins, I trimmed off the extra stitches. {You can see that in the above picture} Once I trimmed off the excess, I dabbed a bit of Fabri-tac on the corners to keep them sturdy and a bit more durable since they were going to be used in my girlies lunch boxes.

Aren't they so fun? After I took this picture I made 4 more. I have the itch to make some more that match the upcoming holidays.




Hope you have fun making your own lunch box napkins! 


This is for my friend, Amy. She has asked several questions about my serger and if it is something that maybe she should look into. After making these napkins, I highly recommend one. It made this project super fast and easy. I didn't have to iron any edges or make hems to make it look nice, I just serged and was done. I have also just serged the edges of pieces of fabric to use as a table cloth for my dining table. It gives homemade clothes and gifts a nice, finished look too. If you like to sew with knits, it also makes it a breeze. These ladies do a better job than I could explaining how a serger works and what you can do with it. I hope this helps!

MADE - serger search {She uses it in most of her tutorials.}

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I'm so glad that you like the tutorial. :) Palak from Make It Handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! and how do you get your kids to bring the napkins back home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! You did such a fab job, I am so thankful for your help! ☺ My girls just pop them back in their lunchboxes. We've only had one go missing out of lunches for 180 days of school. I also try to use inexpensive cotton, so if it does get lost, it's no big deal. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!