I think the world needs more brooches.
If you have been around me for very long, you know that I LOVE to crochet. Okay, maybe more obsessed, but its such a joy for me. There is something really amazing about turning a single strand of yarn into an afghan or a potholder or a dishcloth or a flower...you guys get the idea.
The weather has turned cool, so I have been wearing lots of scarves and you know, sometimes it just needs a little extra oomph.
I spent the other day making up a bunch of flowers and didn't know quite what to do with them. Enter in the cutest little thing ever...the brooch.
I used a H hook {5mm} and worsted weight yarn. I followed these patterns for my roses and leaves. You can find them here and here. {If you don't know how to crochet, I used this tutorial to learn. There are also videos and other tutorials out there to help learn the basics.}
For this particular brooch, I used a fabric covered button center. You can find the kits at any crafty store. They come with a template and instructions. They're super fun, once you start you don't want to stop.
You'll also need a small circle of felt and a pin back.
step one -- sew your rose together using the extra long tail you have at the end of your rose. The directions on the rose tutorial are really helpful. I just weaved in and out. I sewed up and down until it doesn't really budge anymore. Don't cut the rest of your tail when you're done. Once you have sewn the rose to your desired size, use the small tail from your beginning chain to sew on your button. You can see it here in the picture below. Knot the two tails together and trim off the excess.
step two -- sew on your leaves. When you are done sewing on the first leaf, leave the tail. Sew on the next one and then knot them together, just like you did for the rose.
step three -- sew your pin back to your felt circle and adhere it to the back of your rose. I used Fabri-tac. I learned this after I had already put mine together. It's a whole bunch easier to sew/glue your pin back to the felt first and then adhere it to the back of your brooch.
Tadaaa!
You have now made your very own brooch! One of my sweet friends had mentioned that this would be an awesome gift for Mother's Day! She was totally right! So, you have seven months to get started. Heehee.
Happy crocheting and brooch making!
xo
Sarah!! I love this, and I am so glad I found your blog! So many fun inspirations-keep it up! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you, Laura! Your encouragement is a blessing! xo
DeleteDearest BGF,
ReplyDeleteOnce again you have created something completely delightful! I love it! Sending you big hugs!!
your BGF!! <3 <3 <3
Oh thank you, BGF! You are such a sweet friend. I love you!!!
DeleteAnd I Loves you!!!!!
Delete