Yay for pie! I have to say that my weakness lies in cake, but I love a good pie, rhubarb to be exact. Growing up my mom made the most beautiful pies {and still does}. We would joke that she could enter them in a contest and win because of her crusts. They were these beautiful shades of golds and browns. I am drooling just thinking about one of her pies... Pie crusts have been one of those things I haven't been able to master. I try and try and they all end up looking like {bleh}. My mom even spent an afternoon showing and teaching me her tricks. Still, they turned out looking like {bleh}. My friend the other day shared this recipe on her blog. She has some fun stuff, so if you get a chance, check her out! ☺ Anywho, back to pie... I was itching to make a pie after the prompting of her blog entry and my husband mentioning how lovely his Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla would go with some warm applely pie goodness. How can I not make one after that subtle hint? ☺ I gathered up my ingredients and went to work. I used my mom's recipe for crust and my friend's recipe for the pie. It was a match made in heaven. I couldn't believe how everything came together. My crust looked amazing, the pie was tasty and I was ecstatic. Here is the recipe for her
Easy as Apple Pie.
9" pie crust for top and bottom
4-5 apples
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
stick of butter - oh yeah, a whole stick. ☺
Get your bottom pie crust into the pie pan.
Cut up the apples and mix with all the other ingredients, except butter. Then pour into the pie crust. Cut the butter into small cubes and place them all over the top of the apple mixture. Arrange your top crust, make sure you vent it with a fork or cut out a design, and flute the edges.
Mmmmmmmmm. Buttery goodness. ☺
Bake at 425 degrees for 40 minutes, with the edges covered and 10 more minutes without.
Serve warm with ice cream!
Enjoy this tasty recipe on this National Day of Apple Pie!
oh beautiful! I so miss having fresh apples in the front yard to bake pies with, just one more thing I miss about living in Washington.
ReplyDelete