January 5, 2011

catch-all counter.

I was going over the last several weeks of blog entries by friends and creative peeps. I haven't had a chance to browse them and was happy to catch-up on all of the fun things going on in their lives. I was showing my husband some of the knitting blog posts by a friend. We came across a picture that she posted of a counter in her kitchen. The title of her post was balance. It struck a chord with both David and I. He pipes up and says, "You should post weekly pictures of our catch-all counter." I looked at him and laughed. Then I thought, "Sure, why not? It could be fun-ish, I guess." *gulp* He then says, "Yes, it will be clean every week." HA! Most of you that know me, know that I like to keep things tidy but end up having one counter in my kitchen piled with things or "crap" as David calls it. It drives him crazy, totally bonkers crazy. It is the one place that I tend to stick things...the girls school papers, mail, leftover party things, toys, books, recycle, keys, cell phones, chargers...all on this counter. I try to go through it often...ok, well sometimes.


When we have friends come over, I grab a laundry basket and fill it up with plans to go through it at some point. One time I stuck an un-paid bill in that basket and oooops. It was forgotten until we got a notice saying it was overdue. I still don't hear the end of that one. Well...I still have a basket filled up from the last time. I have been stowing it in my laundry room...ugh.



Since before Christmas the catch-all counter has kind of migrated to the dining room table. David wanted to make sure that I posted a picture of that too. This is soo humbling for me right now. I am using this as a good motivator to NOT leave piles that need to be put away, off any longer. It looks like I should be on a show of Hoarders or something...*shudder* 


P.S. All of these pictures were taken in real time, as of today at 10:00 am. Please, no one come over. I don't have any spare baskets to fill. ☺

6 comments:

  1. When I lived in the old house, I would do the same thing when people came over (laundry baskets). It's still something I would do - I just have a little more drawer/closet space in this house. :)

    I found this blog/idea: http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/12/27/organizing-all-the-paper-chaos/

    What do you think of that? Is this something that might work for you? I may try it -we'll see.

    Completely off subject: I thought of you the other day when I was at Yoke's. In the V-day section (by the coffee), they had some really cute cupcake liners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee. Thank you for the link! I checked it out and it is more focused on papers...my issue is stuff and putting it away or tossing it instead of piling it up on a counter. She has lots of fun things though to look at and inspire! ☺

    Hmmmm...I thinks I might have to investigate those liners. ☺

    I have to tell you, it ALWAYS warms my heart when Mal seeks me out to say hi on Wednesdays. She is so grown-up now. When did that happen?? ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, that's sweet of you to say! She sure LOVES Wednesday mights! I am hoping Jones will go next year (he could go this year - he's just hesitant!).

    I understand about the linky thing. I think my issue for my counter isn't all papers either. It probably wouldn't work for me either. Cute idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sarah!
    this kind of disclosure is so very generous of you. it's an offering of the human soul...bare and genuine.
    i bet it was kind of liberating... like a good
    streak'n.
    i think i might post a little disaster of my own.
    i need the confession...and the emancipation.

    preach it sister!

    c

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grab a laundry basket too! Once I even grabbed a box...it got shoved under our bed by the dog (his favorite spot to sleep) and I didn't find it for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!! My favorite part of your "catch-all" counter is the "failed attempt at chores and rewards"--I have this exact same (failed!)jar in my garage!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!