May 21, 2011

Big Sis - butterfly protector.

R20 - day 49

The last few weeks, Big Sis has been learning about the life cycle of the butterfly at school. She comes home from school using words like: chrysalis, proboscis, metamorphosis, migration, larvae, meconium. Um, wow. I had to ask her to define a couple for me because I did not even know them. Her class was fortunate enough to receive their own larvae, each student had their very own. I was informed of her larvae everyday until he turned into a caterpillar. He was given a diet of mallow. She was so excited sharing all the details of her caterpillar and those of her classmates. The best part was hearing her talk about how they were getting chubby and ready to form their chrysalis's. After 9 days they emerged from their temporary homes. It was sooo exciting! They let several of the butterflies free in the field at school. It was bittersweet as some of them didn't make it and died. Big Sis has always had a tender heart for living things.

This last Friday, Big Sis and her classmates were playing in the field during lunch recess. I was there helping with selling waters and sodas for the Family Day BBQ put on by the school. She and her classmates were playing with several of the butterflies at recess. They would run up to my table and shriek with excitement over them. It was cute. I am picking her up from school later that day and she has her hands cupped together and a very concerned look on her face. She shares with me that one of her classmates had rescued a butterfly from a bird. Um, wow, again. She was soo concerned for its well-being and asked if we could take it home. I of course have a moment of compassion on her and said, yes. She was so excited and thankful. I recommended that she leave him in the planter that we have on our patio. She tries to set up home for him and is hesitant to leave him unattended, I know, so sweet. I reminded her that he is God's creation and not to worry.

Meet Tom. I don't remember how this name came to be, but it fits him. He is a Painted Lady butterfly.


If you notice, his wings don't look like they formed properly. I am guessing this is why he was prey to a bird. I am hoping that with a little care, he will perk up and be able to complete his "mission". ☺ Big Sis has been tenderly taking care of him. She even made him a sugar-water mixture to make sure he gets enough to eat. She used her knowledge from school and told me about how her teacher had made some for their butterflies.

Here is her step by step on how to make your own.


step 1. gather up your supplies - sugar, a plastic cup, sponge, plastic container and water.
step 2. fill the plastic cup half-full with water.
step 3. place the sponge inside the plastic container.
step 4. take a teaspoon of sugar and pour into the water.
step 5. mix up the sugar and water.
step 6. pour the sugar water onto the dry sponge.
step 7. place your butterfly onto the sponge. You will see that his proboscis has curled up. He had had his fill of the yummy goodness. ☺
step 8. place your butterfly back into your hospital house and watch him get well.



I don't know what Tom's fate will be, but it sure has been wonderful watching Big Sis in action caring for this little guy in need.

1 comment:

Comments are fun, like cupcakes! ☺ Thank you for your sweet comment!